July 24, 2021
Halborn Publishes THORChain Hack Incident Analysis & Recommendations
Halborn publishes an incident analysis and recommendations for yesterday's $8m THORChain Hack.
Within 24 hours of the most recent THORChain hack, Halborn has compiled and published an in-depth incident analysis on the $8m attack.
Halborn Response Recommendations:
- The Router contract should have pause/un-pause functionality on unintended behaviors. Implement a mechanism that can temporarily stop the critical functionalities.
- A white-listing mechanism should be implemented on every Bifrost component.
- Enable Automatic Solvency Checker on ETH transactions.
- Only Router emitted events should parse from the component - minimizing its attack surface.
- When smart contracts are deployed into the Ethereum blockchain, they are immutable and not upgradable. In the white-listing progress, Router should be placed behind the proxy.
- Implement a new policy for tracking new bugs.
For more details, read the full report here.
In a series of tweets, the THORChain team has outlined next steps towards getting the system back online.
The outlined plan includes internal & external reviews of all chain integration points, working with Nine Realms on a continual Bounty Program, and working with Halborn Security on "Red Team Ops